If you’ve been hurt as the result of someone else’s negligence, a personal injury lawyer can help you seek justice and compensation for your injuries. However, the process of finding the right attorney can be overwhelming. You may not know the questions to ask or the information to obtain from your consultation.
The accomplished attorneys at the Sklare Law Group have decades of experience and understand how daunting the process of finding a lawyer can be for injury victims. If you are seeking a personal injury lawyer to handle your case, consider the following questions to ask during your initial case evaluation.
Questions About Your Case
Your initial consultation is your opportunity to get an idea of the strength of your case, what compensation you can expect, and how likely it is that you will have to go to trial.
When discussing the specifics of your claim, ask questions such as:
- How much do you think my case is realistically worth?
- Are there any obstacles in my case that could jeopardize my claim?
- Do you prefer to settle, or will you go to trial if necessary?
- How long do you think my case will take to complete?
Questions About Experience and Background
It’s important to find an attorney with experience handling cases similar to your own, especially if your case involves a catastrophic injury. Don’t be afraid to inquire about your lawyer’s experience handling cases like yours.
Other questions to ask include:
- How long have you been practicing law?
- How many years of experience do you have handling personal injury cases?
- What types of verdicts and settlements have you gotten for other clients with similar cases?
- How often do you go to trial?
Questions About Legal Fees
After suffering a serious injury, you may be facing high medical bills and time away from work that you and your family can’t afford. The last thing you want to do is add legal bills on top of that. Most personal injury attorneys, including the Sklare Law Group, work on a contingency-fee basis, which means that you don’t pay any fees to your lawyer unless your case reaches a successful outcome. Be sure to ask if your lawyer works on contingency, or if they have an hourly rate.
You should also ask:
- Will I owe you anything if my case does not result in compensation?
- Do I have to pay for expenses incurred during my case?
- Based on your estimation of what my case is worth, how much money can I expect to take home after fees and expenses?
Call Today to Discuss Your Personal Injury Case for Free
Contact the Sklare Law Group today online or at 312-263-0771 for a complimentary case evaluation. Our experienced personal injury attorneys proudly serve clients in Chicago and the surrounding areas of Illinois.