Serving Chicago, Surrounding Suburbs and all Surrounding Counties of DuPage, Will & Lake.
Under the relevant premises liability laws, property owners must keep their property safe for all lawful visitors. This applies to all walkways and points of transit within the property in question.
Put simply, it's the owner's responsibility to ensure that these walkways are clear and safe to traverse. A failure to live up to this responsibility is negligence, and the owner can thus be held liable for any injuries suffered on those walkways.
These cases are commonly called "slip and fall accidents," and they can be very serious. Our experienced lawyers recognize how dangerous a slippery, poorly maintained road or sidewalk can be.
If you need a lawyer in the Chicago, Illinois area with experience in slip and fall cases, please call the Sklare Law Group today at (312) 759-1616 for a free consultation.
What Should I Do if I’ve Been the Victim of a Slip and Fall Accident?
If you have sustained an injury from a slip and fall accident, the burden is on you to prove your case. What you do after your accident can make an enormous difference in your case outcome, so do not delay in doing the following:
- Take photos! While still in the area, if possible, take photos of the structures that were involved in your accidental fall. This includes stairs, wet floors, or obstructions. Be as detailed as possible with photos.
- Determine what caused you to slip and fall. Try to determine how long the condition had existed and who may have been responsible for the condition. Take detailed notes right away.
- If there are/were eyewitnesses, ask for contact information.
- DO NOT give a recorded statement to anyone regarding the slip and fall. Wait until you have spoken to an attorney to discuss the situation with the manager or property owner.
- Report the slip and fall to the appropriate manager or property owner. Without oversharing (less talking is better), state that you slipped and fell and were injured in the process.
- Seek appropriate medical care immediately if at all possible. Go to the nearest emergency room. Inform your doctor that you slipped and fell. This should be noted in your medical record. Also, keep the bill or receipt and any other documentation you receive from the medical facility that sees you.
- Keep all of the clothing and shoes that you were wearing when you fell separate from other items. Do not wear those items again until you've talked to an attorney.
- Contact our office right away to discuss how to proceed.
- Stay up-to-date with any follow-up appointments or treatments your doctor recommends. Do not miss any appointments.
Why Do I Need an Attorney in Order to Seek Compensation?
You may be offered compensation from an insurance company or corporate defendant without being represented by your own attorney. The issue is that these settlements are often far less than the amount of compensation you are entitled to for your injuries. If you accept a settlement without proper representation from an experienced slip and fall attorney, you may miss out on damages that will help you recover and also pay for future medical treatment, missed work, and other aspects of your fall.
Is It Worth It to Seek Compensation for a Slip and Fall Accident?
It is wise to question whether your follow-through with seeking counsel in a slip and fall incident would be worth your time and effort. One of the main benefits of talking to a slip and fall attorney are that you may receive compensation for your time, lost wages, medical care, and more. Another is that your action against the defendant may save other people from the same type of accident you experienced. Keep in mind, as you make your decision, that it does not cost you a thing to consult with an experienced attorney who can discuss the pros and cons of moving forward with a slip and fall case.
Why Should I Work With Sklare Law Group on My Case?
Sklare Law Group is a team of experienced personal injury lawyers. Personal injury law is our specialty, and we are proud of our effective and aggressive representation of our clients. If you want someone to fight for your rights, we are the law office for you.
How Do I Know if I Have a Case?
Your attorney can help you determine the validity of your claim. They do so by reviewing the legal basis and qualifications for this type of situation. For example, one way to have a case against a defendant is to be able to prove that they are liable for your slip and fall. This means that they had a duty to care for the property or area in which you were injured. Liability is one of several contributing factors that your attorney can discuss with you.
Where Causes Slip and Fall Accidents?
Without the proper precautions or warnings, slip and fall accidents can unfortunately occur in almost any place. Parking lots, shopping malls, and restaurants are all popular places where slip-and-fall accidents occur. Common causes of these accidents can include the following:
- Defects in the pavement
- Uneven carpeting
- Inadequate lighting
- Depressions in the ground
- Spilled food or drinks
- Slippery or wet floors
- Electrical cords
- Broken handrails
- Inadequate signage
Who Can Be Held Liable In a Slip and Fall Case?
There can be a number of parties responsible for your slip and fall case. Many business owners, entities, and property owners can be at fault when it comes to slip and fall accidents. Depending on the location where the accident occurs, the person liable for the accident may vary. They can include:
- Business owners
- Landlords or property owners
- The management company or possessor
What Damages Can I Recieve for a Slip and Fall Case?
The damages that you may be able to receive from your slip and fall case will depend on the circumstances of your accident. Any injuries and losses can also play a huge role in your case. When seeking out legal representation for your slip and fall case, you may be able to receive compensation for the following:
- Medical expenses related to the accident
- Rehab or therapy related to injury from the accident
- Loss of wages
- Medical devices such as walkers or wheelchairs
- Cost of prescription medications
- Out-of-pocket costs
Non-economic damages such as emotional suffering, disability, and loss of quality of life can also be compensated. If you or someone you know has been affected by a slip and fall accident or experienced an injury from one, contact Sklare Law Group today. Our dedicated team of legal professionals is prepared to help you find the right lawyer who can fight to get you the compensation you deserve.
Slip and fall accidents are often the subject of mockery in popular culture – these accidents are generally considered minor, and those who suffer them are denigrated as litigious and unreasonable.
The reality is quite different. Victims of slip and fall accidents can suffer:
- Broken bones
- Torn tendons and ligaments
- Brain injuries
- Back injuries
We've seen too many innocent victims have to deal with the aftermath of these accidents not to take them seriously. When you struggle to get out of bed in the morning because of a back injury you suffered on an icy sidewalk, you're not being litigious to ask for compensation.
The weather in Chicago can be quite difficult, especially in winter, and property owners need to ensure that their sidewalks and driveways are clear of snow and ice. But slip and fall accidents can occur indoors – a poorly maintained carpet, spilled liquid left unattended, wires running across walkways, all of these things can cause slip and fall accidents.
If you've been the victim of a slip and fall accident, don't hesitate to arrange a free consultation with our attorneys. We'll listen to your story and help you determine if legal action is right for you.
We want to talk to you about your case. If you suffered an injury as a result of a slip and fall accident in the Chicago, Illinois area, please call the Sklare Law Group today at (312) 759-1616 for a free consultation.