For those who have suffered a catastrophic personal injury in the Chicago area, one of the biggest sources of stress is uncertainty. You don't know what's going on, you don't know what to do and you don't know what to expect.
Adding this mental stress to the physical pain of your personal injury makes the entire experience even worse. This is especially true if you don't have any experience with the legal system.
But our personal injury attorneys understand all of this, and we will help you. We'll provide you with high-quality legal representation, but we will also de-mystify the process and provide you with the peace of mind that comes from knowing what to expect.
What is a Personal Injury Claim?
Personal injury law is all about duty – specifically, the duty of care we sometimes owe each other, such as when we are sharing the road in our vehicles. In a legal sense, “duty” is how we refer to the obligations and responsibilities we share with other people while going about our day. Sometimes this duty is explicitly spelled out, but oftentimes it's an unstated part of an invisible contract.
So, for example, when operating your car, you have a duty to follow all laws, obey all signs and drive in a safe fashion. This is every driver's obligation to everyone else on and around the road.
A personal injury case arises when that duty is breached – when someone acts negligently, breaches their responsibility and hurts another person.
Specific examples of personal injury cases include:
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Dog bite injuries
- Medical malpractice claims
- Wrongful death cases
- Premises liability claims
As you can see, “personal injury” is a broad umbrella term that encompasses many different specific cases. These are all different cases, but they have something in common – the breach of a duty of care that results in a serious injury to another party.
The Personal Injury Process
Every case is unique, and our personal injury attorneys will provide you with a more specific roadmap for your claim when you speak with us. Still, it's definitely useful to have a general sense of what to expect from the personal injury claim process:
- The first step is speaking to our personal injury attorneys at an initial consultation. This first conversation is completely free and comes with no obligation. During this conversation, we'll talk to you about your case, ask you some questions, review any paperwork you might have and answer any questions you might have about our firm.
- If we decide to accept your case and you decide to choose our firm, we will begin the process of investigating your accident to determine its cause and finding who's liable.
- After formally initiating a legal action, we will begin the process of resolving your claim. We work tirelessly for the best possible results on behalf of our clients. Rely on us to keep you updated every step of the way.
Of course, that is a very broad, very general overview of the legal process. Again, every case is unique, and no one can promise you a specific verdict or monetary settlement. But we do promise to fight aggressively for our clients, never resting until the best possible outcome is obtained.
If you need an experienced personal injury attorney in or around Chicago, Illinois, please call Sklare Law Group today at 312-263-0771 for a free consultation.