What to Do After an Out-of-State Auto Accident

What to Do After an Out-of-State Auto Accident | Chicago With Michigan and Indiana being so close to Chicago, many of our clients have questions about out-of-state auto accidents. Filing a claim or personal injury lawsuit can be a confusing process with out-of-state accidents. Our lawyer can help you file your auto accident claim and make sure you get the compensation you’re owed for your injuries and damage to your vehicle.

Knowing what steps to take following an out-of-state accident can save you from additional anxiety as you recover from the collision. These steps include:

1. Follow Traditional Auto Accident Steps

Regardless of where your car accident occurs, it’s important to contact emergency services to have your injuries and the injuries of others involved in the accident addressed by a medical professional. Also, take photographs of the accident, write down the information of all parties involved and wait for police to arrive to file a report.

2. Contact Your Insurance Company

Luckily, your auto insurance policy likely covers your accident if it occurred within the United States, a United States territory or in some cases, certain areas of Canada. Most insurance companies partner with out-of-state businesses to make sure you have access to a repair shop and tow company wherever you are. Once you call your insurance company, they will let you know what your options are and where to file your claim.

3. Know the Statute of Limitations & State “Fault” Laws

Many states have a time limit on filing auto accident claims so it’s important to reach out to your insurance company and an attorney as soon as possible. Another aspect to consider is the varying “fault” laws in your home state and the state where the accident occurred. For example, Illinois and Indiana are at-fault states where fault is assigned to the party legally responsible for the accident, and their insurance then pays for the cost of all injuries and property damage. However, Michigan is a no-fault state, which means each party is responsible for their own injuries and damage.

4. Call Our Lawyer in Chicago

Out-of-state accidents can be difficult to navigate, and it’s easy to make a mistake when filing your claim. Our lawyer can make sure your auto accident claim is filed correctly to ensure you receive the maximum amount of compensation you’re entitled to.

If you’re an Illinois resident and have been involved in an out-of-state auto accident, please contact Sklare Law Group in Chicago today at 1-800-LAW-0300 to schedule your consultation. Our experienced team of attorneys serves clients throughout Northern Illinois including Chicago.

What to do after a car accident

Get in Touch


* All indicated fields must be completed.



20 N. Clark St.Ste. 1450
Chicago, IL 60602


MON - SUN: 24/7

Accessibility Toolbar