Thousands of pedestrians are killed each year in the U.S. in collisions with motorists. Chicago and all of Illinois have their own share of these tragedies. Of the pedestrians who survive, many of them are badly injured. The experienced attorneys at Sklare Law Group know just how life-altering these injuries can be.
If you or a loved one was injured in such an incident, or if a loved one was killed, then you may be entitled to compensation for your losses, expenses and suffering. To learn more, please call our experienced team in Chicago at 312-471-7777.
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
Here are some of the most common reasons these accidents occur:
- Distracted driving. Distraction includes texting and anything else that takes a driver's eyes, hands and mind off of the task of driving. Even a few moments of glancing at a phone can be enough time to miss the pedestrian on the side of the road or crossing the street.
- Drunk driving. Inebriation reduces a motorist's ability to make good judgements, to react and respond to things in the roadway, and to stay alert. Under these conditions, a drunk driver may not see a pedestrian.
- Reckless driving. Speeding, cutting people off, taking chances – these things may mean a crash with a pedestrian. Reckless driving leaves the motorist less room for error when unforeseen circumstances arise, like a pedestrian crossing the street.
- Poor driving conditions. Low light, limited visibility, snow and other bad weather can make it more difficult to see pedestrians. Drivers should exercise extra care in these situations. Sometimes driving conditions require reduced speeds. Failure to do so could result in a collision with a pedestrian.
- Lack of pedestrian infrastructure. There are many roadways in America that do not have enough infrastructure, or maintained infrastructure, for pedestrians to travel safely. Damaged sidewalks or a lack of sidewalks are two examples, as is a lack of crosswalks or crossing signals.
Even if the cause of the crash that injured you is not listed above, you may still have a case. Injury claims arise when the crash can be tied back to someone else's negligence. Rely on us to determine who is at fault.
Pedestrian Accident Statistics
2015 is the most recent year for statistics collected by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration1. Here is what they found:
- 5,376 pedestrians were killed in the U.S. that year
- 70,000 were injured
- Pedestrians were killed at an average rate of 1 person every 1.6 hours
- Pedestrians were injured at an average rate of 1 person every 7 and a half minutes
- 72 percent of pedestrian deaths occurred at non-intersection locations
- 74 percent of pedestrian deaths occurred during the dark, non-daytime hours
In 2015 in Illinois, 46 pedestrians were struck and killed by motor vehicles2. That was a 31 percent increase over the year previous.
Experienced, Aggressive Advocates on Your Side
As someone injured because of carelessness, you deserve maximum compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering. You deserve compensation for every way the injury has affected your life.
With decades of combined experience, our attorneys know how to handle claims aggressively. We will not stop until the best possible results are obtained. Rely on us for clear, open communication.
For a FREE case evaluation, please call Sklare Law Group in Chicago at 312-471-7777. You can also reach us by completing the contact form on this page.