What To Do After A Car Accident
Serving Chicago, Surrounding Suburbs and all Surrounding Counties of DuPage, Will & Lake.
There's a lot of stress and confusion in the aftermath of your car accident. You're scared, you're hurt and you don't know what to do. All you really want to do is go home.
This is understandable. But it's important to remember that what you do immediately after your accident can play a huge role in any future legal action you might pursue. We've seen car accident cases torpedoed by the victim's actions at the scene of the wreck.
This page will provide you with a guide on how to handle the aftermath of your accident. These actions won't guarantee you success in the future, but they will enable you to protect yourself and your legal rights.
If you've been hurt in a car accident in the Chicago, Illinois area, please call the Sklare Law Group today at (312) 759-1616 for a free consultation.
How To Protect Yourself
Every accident is unique, and so is every accident scene, but the basic reality of the law doesn't change- you'll need to prove every assertion you make. That requires evidence. And while you're not a police officer, you can play a role in proving the facts of your accident.
Here's what we recommend you do following an accident:
- Your number one priority is your health. If emergency personnel were called to the scene, allow them to evaluate you. If they weren't, see your doctor as soon as possible. Do this even if you feel fine – many common car accident injuries take a while to show up.
- Speak with the other driver, but do it calmly, without acrimony or recrimination. Don't raise your voice and don't argue with them. Certainly don't admit any fault. Get their insurance information and their contact information.
- Take photographs of the scene. Don't worry too much about the quality of your photography, but do what you can to keep everything clear and in focus. Shoot the vehicles involved and any damage to the surrounding environment. This evidence will be cleared quickly, which means photographs are crucial.
- Get copies of any paperwork generated in the aftermath of your accident. This includes insurance filings, police reports and medical records. These might prove to be important pieces of evidence down the road.
- Don't settle with the insurance company. Remember, they're looking out for their interests, not yours. Is the offer they've made fair? Maybe. But the only way to know for sure is to...
- Speak with our car accident lawyers as soon as possible. You need to know what your options are and how viable a potential legal action might be. We offer free, no-obligation initial consultations – a conversation with us won't cost you anything, and it might pay extraordinary dividends down the road.
As the victim of another driver's negligence, you need to look out for yourself and your best interests. And you should have experienced lawyers on your side to help.
If you need a skilled, experienced, passionate car accident lawyer in the Chicago, Illinois area, please call the Sklare Law Group today at (312) 759-1616 for a free consultation.