Springtime in Chicago means more opportunities to get your motorcycle out on the open road. Whether you are looking to commute to work or go on a multi-day motorcycle tour, it’s never a bad idea to brush up on basic safety tips before doing so. It just so happens that May is Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month. In recognition, we’ve provided some of the basic tips we think all motorcyclists should remind themselves of:
- Be prepared for volatile weather. The weather can change quickly. Rainstorms may roll in, in the space of an hour. Check the forecast before heading out and plan accordingly. Pack a rain and wind layer so you stay warm and dry.
- Be visible. Brightly colored clothing or a vest will help your appearance stand out. Drivers of passenger vehicles and trucks have trouble seeing and recognizing the smaller size of a motorcycle; they aren’t accustomed to it.
- Wear a helmet. A helmet protects your skull and brain. It may save your life or prevent a traumatic brain injury. Other gear should be worn too, including boots that extend beyond the ankle and gloves to improve your grip.
- Maintain your motorcycle. Your motorcycle should be running like a well-oiled machine. Regular maintenance prevents breakdowns and failures that could cause an accident.
- Ride defensively. Remember that many motor vehicle drivers may not even see you on the roadway, especially if they’re distracted. Avoid riding in blind spots; pass safely but don’t linger in a blind spot. You should also try to create a comfortable bubble of space between you, and the vehicles in front of and behind you. Use your horn to give someone a beep if they appear to be coming into your lane or about to turn in front of you.
- Look out for potholes. Springtime in Chicago means new potholes that weren’t there last fall. Some of these holes can be large and could throw your motorcycle off balance. Keep an eye out for them.
If you’ve been in a motorcycle accident in Chicago, or anywhere in Illinois, then you may have a case to pursue compensation for your injuries. Compensation may be awarded if the crash was caused by someone else’s negligence. For a complimentary consultation with our experienced lawyers serving Oak Park, Berwyn, Cicero and the surrounding areas, please call Sklare Law Group at 312-263-0771.